Former Turner President and former Brooklyn Nets CEO David Levy has joined New York organisation Andbox as an investor and Chairman of the company’s advisory board.
Levy’s investment and appointment come as part of Andbox’s Series B funding round which attracted a host notable investors.
This is not Levy’s first foray into esports, having launched ELEAGUE as a joint venture between Turner and sports, events and talent management company IMG, which is currently broadcast to Twitch, YouTube and American cable station TBS.
Along with Levy, Andbox’s Series B funding round saw investment from parties with broad expertise in sports, entertainment, consumer brands and digital media. In a release, Andbox noted that the latest funding round will assist in developing strong consumer brands around its offerings and competitive teams, including its New York Subliners and New York Excelsior franchises.
Levy spoke on the decision: “Looking at the sports landscape it’s clear to me that in the very near future esports will be global on a scale only equalled by soccer, basketball, and combat sports. It’s this realization that first compelled me to be an early-mover in this space during my time at Turner years ago.
“New York is the biggest, boldest sports market there is in the U.S., with it also serving as a beacon of global culture, and that’s why I’m so excited to become an investor in Andbox and chair its advisory board.”
He joins the following as an investor of Andbox:
- Sterling Equities, a New York-based investment company whose portfolio includes SportsNet New York and MLB franchise the New York Mets
- Allen & Company, a private investment bank
- The Pohlad Companies, owners of MLB franchise the Minnesota Twins
- Neil Blumenthal, Co-founder & CEO of Warby Parker
- Jeff Raider, Co-founder & CEO of Harry’s
- Sundance DiGiovanni, Co-founder & Chief Strategy Officer of Vindex
- Mike Sepso, Co-founder & CEO of Vindex
- Michael B. Jordan, actor & producer
- Adam Leibsohn, Co-founder & COO of GIPHY
- Chris Stang, Co-founder & CEO of the Infatuation
Farzam Kamel, Co-founder and President of Andbox, is similarly looking forward to the new working relationship: “David brings us tremendous experience in the entertainment and sports industries, and is extremely passionate about the things he gets involved in. His energy is truly contagious.
“He will be of immeasurable value to us as we build this business. We’re very fortunate to have him involved not just as an investor but in an active role leading our advisory board.”
Esports Insider says: Bringing on a big name like Levy as an investor and chairman is a big win for the rapidly-growing Andbox. With a work history across broadcasting, esports-specific content, and large scale traditional sports, he appears to have a great blend of experience to bring to his next venture.